04 June 2009

Impressive

For the second time in a little over four years, someone in the medical profession has described something about my current condition as "impressive."

Neither time has this been meant in a positive way.

After months of being exhausted by the slightest bit of physical effort, intermittently falling asleep for hours on the sofa in the middle of the afternoon and compulsively chewing crushed ice (I can go through three bags in a week), I was diagnosed with severe anemia.

Yippee.

At least I know what's wrong and can now put a treatment course into place. I was given a prescription for iron pills today (and warned about the lovely side effect) and was told that my particular kind of anemia was from blood loss and, thus, can't be fixed by more B12 or folic acid. Rats. I was hoping for a homeopathic remedy.

The upside of getting more iron is that I'll be able to walk up flights of stairs without becoming short of breath. Woo-hoo!

The downside is that I'll no longer have an excuse for my afternoon nap. Bummer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who needs an excuse for naps? Naps are good.

Feel better soon.x